Management challenges for the 21st century essay
The basic purpose of choosing this topic is that organizations have managers and CEO’s but organizations lack is building up leaders. This book gives a proper understanding about the term leadership and the roles of a leader. Leadership is a trait and it allows people to lead from the front and develop a pathway for others. In organizational aspect, this term has a broader connotation and people in organizations act as leaders when they motivate one another in achieving a shared target or goal.
However, in real terms business consider those people as leaders that contribute towards the betterment of the company. Thus, leadership is one of those charismatic characteristic that creates a path for organizational excellence (Drucker, 2001). In order to progress in the world an organizations must need an individual that is leads them to their objective and after achieving the desired results, a proactive leader searches out new opportunity and then decides to achieve that. That is why the topic of leadership is chosen.
- Peter Drucker is considered a management guru and his books on management are treated like a bible in business studies. This book highlights the concept of leadership in detail and the theories related to it. Practical examples of leaders are highlighted in this book and an in-depth analysis on every topic that is related to management and the challenges face by the managers of 21st century is discussed in detail. This book defines the roles of a leader and relates it to the practical world. However, case study approach and business oriented examples are adopted by the author.
Although, the topic is similar and can easily be accessed through author books but this book is far better than other because of its detailed approach and practical examples of the corporate world.
- This book helped a lot in identifying the roles of leaders and their approaches towards the corporate world. The biggest contribution of this book is developing a mindset among people that every individual in an organization can be a leader if he/she takes risk and develop a broader vision in such a way that his/she mission is aligned with the organizational mission.
Conflicts through effective leadership skills can be resolved and people can attain their desired goals if they follow their leaders. This book can contribute a lot in transforming the mindset of a normal employee towards becoming an effective leader for his/her organization.
- There are certain functions of management like planning, organizing, leading and controlling. Besides these functions, certain attributes of management revolves around these functions. These attributes are motivation, leading, staffing etc. In this entire book, each function is discussed in detail and proper emphasis is laid on the basic functions of management.
Radical changes of the 21st century are highlighted in this book and all factors related to the corporate change are discussed in detail. Although, the book emphasizes the change in philosophies of the management but the basic principles remain the same. Thus, all the basic principles of management are discussed generally but through the approach of 21st century. The change management technique, leaders of the 21st century, elements to attain strategic advantage is discussed in detail.
The two new words are:
- Span of control
- Decentralized organizations
These two words are new to me and they have contributed a lot in this course. Span of control is a terminology that describes a number of subordinates a superiors can have. It is a theory of organizational behavior that highlights the fact that how relationships can be structured within organizations leaders and subordinates (12 Manage-The executive fast track , 2009).
Besides that in a decentralized organization, the power is equally distributed and all members of the organizations experience the phenomenon of decision-making.
- The concept of changing attitudes of people and the changing norms of the 21st century are similar in both the books. This concept speaks about the fact that norms of the workplace are changing and integrated approach is followed by every stakeholder (Drucker, 2001).
People are trying to reap out more benefits by implementing new strategies that help them in the long and the short run. The concept and theory that was famous and applicable in the previous century might be destructive and obsolete in the current era. In both the books it is highlighted that people have to adopt new methods of working and in order to be successful they have to erase the conventional mentality. Although, it is a theoretical concept but if it is applied positively then it can favor an organization and can transform the entire structure of the organization.
The three “take-aways” from this book are
- Requirements of leadership
- How to manage your own careers
- The scenario of management is changing in the current era
Requirements of Leadership Drucker, beautiful identifies the requirement of leadership in a way that not everyone can be a leader and people who possess leadership skills and forward-looking approach can lead an organization. Besides that, a leader is always ready to change his/her working methodology, as he/she knows the importance of change. How to manage your own careers In this book, the author highlights the fact that an individual has to manage his or her own careers.
They have to keep their own missions and the missions of the organizations aligned. The scenario of management is changing in the current era. One of the biggest take-away from this book is the fact that the working and management style of the corporate world is changing. People are adopting new methodologies and they are creating new business models to achieve their desired goals.
- All the aspects of this book are nearly complete and accurate too. However, managing the resources through internet is a concept that is not discussed in detail.
Managing the internet and effectively using this resource for your business can increase productivity. This approach must be highlighted by Peter Drucker. In the book every concept of management is discussed in detail, the author has beautifully discussed the each concept, and emphasis is laid on the modernized approaches.
- 12 Manage-The executive fast track . (2009). www. 12manage. com. Retrieved feburary 7, 2009, from http://www. 12manage. com/description_p_of_control. html
- Drucker, F. (2001). Management Challenges for the 21st Century. Collins Business.